Friday, September 15, 2006

» Banning Rees from the Columbia Heights Email Group

Jonathan R. Rees began his wild ride of spamming community listservs more than five years ago. In a matter of just three days he logged on with six separate identities and attacked people with every one. We can only assume that he knows what he is doing. Sybil, the popular book about a woman with a plethora of distinct personalities was unaware of what her different selves were doing. Rees' aliases are entirely aware of each other. He uses them to sound like a crowd and try to show popular support for his nutty causes and hateful ideas. Below is a cautionary story. Rees' attack on the Columbia Heights Yahoo Email Group took the list into a tail-spin that caused one member to go create a new moderated list within hours of his attack. The list owner, David McIntire, is a saint. To have such patience with a lunatic attacking the list, and letting the personal attacks slide for as long as he did is simply amazing. Rees has been banned from several community email groups and blogs. Unfortunately, a number of others have let him continue with his attacks.
February 15, 2001

1:56 am 3664 Racist FederalJudge Ricardo M. Urbina
http://www.angelfire.com/geek/urbina/
Maria Teres [Alias of Jonathan R. Rees]

1:59 am 3665 Racist Federal Judge Ricardo M. Urbina
http://www.angelfire.com/geek/urbina/
Maria Teres [Alias of Jonathan R. Rees] 7:50 am 3671 Racist FederalJudge Ricardo M. Urbina
All, I find this is inappropriate for a community list serve and offensive. Do others agree?
Lynn French 8:10 am 3672 Re: [columbia_heights] Racist FederalJudge Ricardo M. Urbina
I glanced over it at first, but after re-reading it, I would agree with Lynn. I think we can find another place for this type of post. We do just fine getting under each others skin, we do not need outside help =)
Mark Barlet 8:16 am 3673 Judge Urbina
I have had the chance to also see this posuting about U.S. District Judge Ricardo M. Urbina and while this web site might be off the hook, what it says about this man is the truth. As a paralegal, I have heard this man utter racist remarks about anybody ...
Jonathan R. Rees 9:30 am 3676 Re: Racist Federal Judge Ricardo M. Urbina
Yes, this posting regarding Judge Ricardo M. Urbina is totally uncalled for, tasteless, poorly written and full of misspelled words. Postings like these only discredit the person(s) responsible for posting such messages as well as to compromise the effectiveness of this forum as a positive community building tool.
tappel5169 9:47 am 3677 racist garbage and commercial garbage
1. Opening my inbox this morning, I found a pile of commercial e-mails from Jonathan Reese, apparently promoting his web site design portfolio (a radio station, restaurant, leather accesories vendor...?!?). This list is ...
Michael Wilkinson 10:17 am 3678 Re: Racist FederalJudge Ricardo M. Urbina
The URL listed on your email takes one to a website about the person in the subject line. The first thing one sees is a photo of the judge and this description of him:
"Judge Ricardo M. Urbina - Judge Urbina first came to national promience as the popular child star known as "Buckwheat" on the syndicated TV programs "Our Gang" and "The Little Rascals".
The text then goes on to condemn this judge in extremely hateful terms supposedly for not acting "Hispanic" enough but is actually a rant against affirmative action, gays and lesbians, woman lawyers, etc.
Why should anyone believe any of this about Judge Urbina ...
Larry Bellinger 10:27 am 3679 Re: Racist Federal Judge Ricardo M. Urbina
Again? Once more, if ANY of the information in this website is wrong, how can ANY of it be trusted as truth? BTW- If Urbina graduated from Georgetown in 1967,...
Larry Bellinger 10:28 am 3681 Re: [columbia_heights] racist garbage and commercial garbage
Racist and commercial garbage are a no-no. Any repeat of that and I will remove the offenders from the list. I was hoping not to have to deal with a situation that is clearly over the top. I like to wrap myself in the first amendment. But stuff like this could destroy the list quick. Call me a hypocrite but I am afraid it is necessary.
David McIntire 10:37 am 3682 RE: [columbia_heights] Judge Urbina
Funny how the Urbina website background is identical to the background of the Don Juan's rest. ad. Also, the Urbina site is supposedly from the paralegal association. Man, this really stinks.
Larry Bellinger 10:38 am 3683 racist garbage and commercial garbage
Judge Ricardo M. Urbina For what it's worth, let me remind folks that even the Supreme Court of the U.S. has said that the First Amendment does not confer upon...
Peter Wolff 10:49 am 3684 RE: [columbia_heights] Judge Urbina
Lynn: I agree all of these recent posting by Jonathan Rees are total crap. I don't need to get spam on leather goods or racist comments or restaurant plugs. Makes me actually long for the discourse between William and Dave.
Paul Jenny 11:05 am 3686 Re: Judge Urbina
The language in your posting was beyond vile -- it was repulsive, disgusting and divisive. Surely you must want to present a better face to your neighbors!
Lynn French

11:08 am 3687 Re: Racist FederalJudge Ricardo M. Urbina
Mark, if there is another place where this sort of posting is appropriate, I am very happy that I am not aware of it.
Lynn French 11:59 am 3688 Rees Gone
Good news, Mr. Rees has unsubscribed. Now if Maria Teres would take the hint as well, William and I could have the field cleared for ourselves. Thanks all for your quick responses.
David McIntire 12:03 pm 3689 Re: Racist FederalJudge Ricardo M. Urbina
...I am not sure where it would be, but in the age of the internet there is a place for everything. I just do not think it is here. Idid a report once in school on fringe groups and the Internet, and I spent an afternoon looking for various things, I was shocked at what I had found, I found sites that range from cults to the KKK. ...
Mark Barlet 12:18 pm 3690 Re: [columbia_heights] Rees Gone
Just to be an equal oppertunity offender, Both Maria Teresa Biddy and Mr. Rees email comes from the same sorce. Just thought I would let you know. A DSL Connection via Bellatlantic.net Info Below:Received: from bellatlantic.net(a dsl-151-200-25-33.dc.adsl.bellatlantic.net [151.200.25.33]) bysmtp-out2.bellatlantic.net (8.9.1/8.9.1) with ESMTP id CAA02625 ...
Mark Barlet 12:29 pm 3691 RE: [columbia_heights] Rees Gone
Thanks, I thought so. Otay!
Larry Bellinger 12:59 pm 3695 Message Control
We need to provide for some order and protocol of messages being posted to our community list. I believe many of us have used this list to vent personal interests, angers and frustrations that were not in line with the main dialogue of this list. We've seen ads, hateful commentary,misrepresentations, name calling, etc. Many messages should be one on one messages instead of airing one's problems to the members of the list. ...
Holly Moskerintz 4:33 pm 3699 Re: [columbia_heights] Rees and Teresa Gone
Mark,They are both now gone. I imagine they were one and the same. It is unfortunate that we were found by a real nut case. But it might happen from time to time. There is no good way to prevent that from happening again. I think list members handled it well with the immediate response. It saved me from being forced to do it. Thanks
David McIntire

February 16, 2001

4:08 am 3703 Re: Racist FederalJudge Ricardo M. Urbina
I find the language offensive, very offensive. I think there are better ways of communicating the issue. Chances are that I will delete these messages in the future even though the message may be of some value because of the possible offensiveness I may experience.
Eric Heard 4:13 am 3704 Re: Judge Urbina
Then I would suggest that the association document his history of remarks and take it to the authorities within the judicial system. I would also suggest that a different level of communication might be more appropriate. It would be for me.
Eric Heard

4:31 am 3705 Re: Racist FederalJudge Ricardo M. Urbina
Even this egroup has the ability to filter. It's called delete, delete, delete.
Eric Heard

6:47 am 3706 FREE SPEECH & JUDGE URBINA [This is a shorter version of 3707 -Bob]

6:57 am 3707 FREE SPEECH & JUDGE URBINA
I had the opportunity to read the various postings concerning Judge Urbina of the United States District Court for the District of Columbia former a judge at the Superior Court of the District of Columbia and I see it as nothing more than an act of freedom of speech and those who are offended by it are your typical left winged faggots and feminazis but then again, your fags and fems are well known for being far more oppressive than the right wing. I say you silly little faggots, take those dicks out of your mouths and asses and get real because it was you butt fucks who sought freedom of speech and there is nothing more offensive than fags and fems who are creatures of SATAN himself and American offends GOD by appointing people like Judge Urbina who is so confused he doesn't know if he would prefer a CHIC or a DICK.

The United State Congress has been wise to reject all requests to incorporate discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation into our civil rights laws but go read your Bible and see what GOD says about you silly little faggots and the origin of GOSSIP, ENVY and the DISTORTION OF TRUTH a favorite set of tools of the homosexual.
Paulie Walnuts [alias of Jonathan Reese]

7:30 am 3708 Re: Free Speech & Judge Urbina
I do not believe that this is what the framers of the constitution had in mind when they wrote the 1st Amendment. This is not appropriate. ... ...
Lynn French

7:55 am 3709 Re: Free Speech & Judge Urbina
Your account has been set to moderated. Subscribers can feel free to express what they think of low life scum like you. Your messages will be filtered through...
David McIntire

8:07 am 3710 Re: Free Speech & Judge Urbina
WOW, Kinda makes the statements I say seem a little more tame! Woo Hoo I no longer hold the record for most offensive thing, by the way, can I call this person...
Mark Barlet

6:05 am 3712 spam
Hi all, I can't allow a few individuals to use spam to try to destroy this egroup community. Below is a message I sent to our anonymous "Paulie Walnuts". Does anyone have a problem with what I did?
Dave McIntire I will be keeping an archive of disapproved messages that any one can see. Your message has no Columbia Heights content. I will not allow spam by people posting anonymously. If you want to give me your real name, address and possibly, telephone number to independently verify your identity, I will not moderate your posts.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Paulie Walnuts"
Sent: Friday, February 16, 2001 11:06 AM
Subject: LEFT WING CENSORSHIP>
Sir you have just proven my point about fags like yourself who want freedom to do what you want but will not allow others the same. I rest my case!
David McIntire

9:06 am 3713 Re: Free Speech & Judge Urbina
Dave: Why bother, I say just delete this cat from the list. I feel for you, if he is a prolific writer. What concerns me more is that this is arriving on top...
Paul Jenny

9:21 am 3714 Re: Free Speech & Judge Urbina
It is very quick for me to set an individual account to be moderated and a bit of a bother for someone to set up an anonymous email account, open an egroup account and finally compose a message. Also there are other things I can do to expose the person(s).
David McIntire 9:23 am 3715 Re: spam
I agree with your approach (the Urbina posters quit on their own, right?). I think Walnuts' messages are completely disgusting, and although he probably does...
Caroline Polk

9:56 am 3716 Re: Mt. Pleasant Forum - 01/02/15
To All CH Digest Members: I have a suggestion for how we can move forward on this "moderation" of our egroup debate. Please respond to the egroup with your...
John Brill

10:13 am 3717 Re: Free Speech & Judge Urbina
Dave -- Just out of curiosity, how many others have you "set to moderated"?
Lynn French

10:54 am 3718 New Separate Moderated Columbia Heights List
Hi All, As we all know, this list is out of control. The only way to bring it under control is to have a moderated discussion. Our recent vote was ...
aaron

11:23 am 3719 Judge Urbina Agrees With Rees & Walnuts
Good people, while we all have been offended by the remarks made about Judge Urbina by many people, as one of his former law clerks, the claims to his racist ways is sadly true. ...
Roy R.J. Stewart-Rivera
1208 50th Place, NE
Washington, D.C. 20019
Roy Stewart [alias of Jonathan Rees]

11:29 am 3720 New List Subscription Instructions
Here's what you need to subscribe to the new Moderated Columbia Heights list. Send an e-mail to the following addresses in order to: Subscribe:...
aaron

11:33 am 3721 Judge Urbina Agrees With Rees & Walnuts [Repeat of 3719 -Bob]
Good people, while we all have been offended by the remarks made about Judge Urbina by many people, as one of his former law clerks, the claims to his racist ...
Roy Stewart-Rivera [alias of Jonathan Rees] 11:54 am 3722 Re: Free Speech & Judge Urbina
Lynn, NONE!! That is the problem - if I don't do anything then people complain about the nature of some posts. Then when some racist nut case starts posting...
David McIntire

12:03 pm 3723 Re: Judge Urbina Agrees With Rees & Walnuts
Roy, There are two rules concerning this forum. One is that the material must be specific to the Columbia Heights community. The second is no commercial ...
David McIntire

12:14 pm 3724 message from Jose Sueiro about offensive posts
All, I was married (the first time) by Judge Urbina and consider him one of the most wonderful human beings I have ever met. Yes, I do consider the posting inappropriate. And, unfortunately, I know who posted it. We're gonna have a little talk.
Jose Sueiro

12:51 pm 3728 Re: Judge Urbina Agrees With Rees & Walnuts
At this point WHO CARES? What ever message you HAD was lost by the insane method in that is was delivered!
BY THE WAY, ROY STEWART'S EMAIL IS FROM THE SAME SOURCE AS ALL OTHER ONES. I think we should just put a moratoriun on new members.
Mark Barlet

1:22 pm 3732 I Am Me An Nobody Else
A M. Barlet has made an inaccurate statement suggesting that my message comes from the same source as others. This is wholly untrue. I am me and just because I take a stance on this Judge Urbina issue does not mean I am in cohoots with others or my message comes from the same source.
Roy R.J. Stewart-Rivera
1208 50th Place, NE
Washington, D.C. 20019
Roy Stewart [alias of Jonathan Rees]

1:44 pm 3733 Moderation/membership control
Dave, et al. I can really appreciate the spot that some of these recent off-the-wall emails puts Dave in as the de facto list moderator. Perhaps there is a ...
Megan Cytron

1:47 pm 3734 Jose Sueiro - requests for service
Hi all, For those who have read Jose Sueiro's recent post but don't know who he is, the following article is from Thursday's District Weekly. Mr. Sueiro can be...
Elizabeth McIntire

1:49 pm 3735 Re: I Am Me An Nobody Else
Roy, or whom ever you are, I, nor many other have been amused by your e-mail, and after your writings under the pen name of Walnut, I assure you that nothing...
Mark Barlet

1:58 pm 3736 Re: I Am Me An Nobody Else
Mr. Stewart, I, too, am convinced that you have been a number of our mystery guests. I have not set your account to "moderated". Without pointing fingers, ...
David McIntire

2:04 pm 3737 Re: I Am Me An Nobody Else
Can we please stop looking up people's information? This list is beginning to feel a bit like the Gestapo. Can't we just judge messages based on their...
Megan Cytron

2:41 pm 3739 Re: I Am Me An Nobody Else
Megan, I am not looking anybody up, it is all in the header of the email, every time you send one, it is there! Most people have there e-mail software trunkade...
Mark Barlet

2:46 pm 3740 Re: Digest Number 314
Mark, It appears you may be catching on. You are indeed correct even calling the person who insists on insulting Judge Urbina a "piece of crap" is ...
Tonya

3:19 pm 3741 Isn't That Special
It seems to me that this group shows a tremendous intolerance for anyone who dares to speak their mind no matter how off the hook it is. To be quite frank, I...
Roy Stewart [alias of Jonathan Rees]

3:19 pm 3742 Re: I Am Me An Nobody Else
All, I think it would be an incalculatable coincidence to have 4 or so unrelated people using different computers, join a particular egroup in the space of ...
David McIntire

3:33 pm 3743 David McIntire Is Incorrect
Jose Sueiro knows who I am and that I am not any of these other people David McIntire and I would suggest before you go around BS ing others that you get your facts straight. Obviously you hold some biases that will not allow yourself to accept the fact that if you look carefully, anybody who uses MSN, Verizon, Etc., will show idential IP addresses when transmitting an email.
If I am not mistaken, this Paulie Walnut guys is a fictional character on the HBO TV program known as the Sorpranos and as for this Rees person, Jose Sueiro says that he knows him to be a paralegal in high demand and who was retained in 1991, by a committee of lawyers and others to testify and submit evidence before the Committee on the Judiciary at the U.S. Senate against Urbina which made Urbina almost not get nominated by a narrow vote of just 1.
Therefore, as a former clerk to Urbina and knowing his nature, Rees clearly does not want any of us to forget the threat this man poses.
David.... let's get our facts straight as you bore me.
Roy Stewart [alias of Jonathan Rees]

4:47 pm 3744 Re: I Am Me An Nobody Else
The rhetoric is reminiscent of folks who are angry at having been ordered to support their children.
Lynn French

8:03 pm 3747 Re: David McIntire Is Incorrect
You should know. You and Jonathan Rees live at 1616 Kilborne St. NW. Mr. Rees regular legitimate email address is jrr1955@... and his telephone number is 462-1017 for those that might want to complain. So Roy/John, whichever, is that accurate enough for you?
David McIntire

8:40 pm 3748 Smells Like Child Support
So one of our members feels like all of this squabbling sounds hateful parents who do not want to pay their child support. Well, I can't speak for others but I don't have any children so no sour grapes here. As a matter of fact, I have never been involved in any legal action which I instituted or was instituted against me. I wonder how all of this squabbling sounds like hateful parents who do not want to pay their child support. Be as it may, David stop sounding so much like Adolf Hilter and let the music flow.
Roy Stewart [alias of Jonathan Rees]

8:52 pm 3749 Dave McIntire Is Wrong Again
Once again, Dave is 100% wrong.
I live on 50th Place, NE and not where he wants others to believe and this should send a message to all that you canot trust what Dave says to be true let along accurate.
Dave might I suggest you drop a few Thorazines and get to know yourself better.
Roy Stewart [alias of Jonathan Rees]

10:14 pm 3750 Dave McIntire Is A Sack Of Shit
Dave McIntire Is A Sack Of Shit and I think most of us now must agree when he went so far out of his way out of pure hatred because sonmebody else disagreed with him that Dave the Asshol McIntire felt it necessary to publish somebody's else address and phone number.
Dave if I wasn't a gentleman, I would come over to your house and kick the shit out of your sorry ass! Yet I think the members of this group now can see how much of a sack of shit you are when you went to such an extreme because of your hatefulness.
To me you are a sick bastard and have fed members of this room with lies suggesting that several people are the same, etc..
In sum Dave, you have just proven to all that you are a sack of shit for having gone to the extreme you did or is it because you disagreed with another because he saw you for what you are?
Roy Stewart [alias of Jonathan Rees]

10:55 pm 3751 (No subject)
Dave, I am a new member here and have been reading all the postings. I dont know if I should be a part of this or not as I do not agree on posting a persons ...
Ida Ruth Smith [alias of Jonathan Rees]

11:21 pm 3752 Dave McIntire May Have HIV?
I am sad to admit that my father was a well known bi-sexual here in the Metro DC area, my father contracted HIV but died just a year ago and I know Dave McIntire to have been one of my father's lovers.
Why is it that gays like McIntire are inherently so evil and hateful that they feel a need to want to hurt people who disagree with them?
McIntire is a good argument why the United States Government should never extend any special rights to gays because history has taught us how evil and rotten gays are and how they want to hurt others who don't see things their way: E.G. J. Edgar Hoover, Roy Cohn,John Wayne Gacy, Jeffrey Dohmer and now Dave McIntire.
Biddy Alex [alias of Jonathan Rees]

11:35 pm 3753 How does this feel Dave?
David McIntire xxx Park Rd Nw Washington , DC 20010 202)232-xxxx
Biddy Alex [alias of Jonathan Rees]

February 17, 2001

1:04 am 3754 Regretfully,
For the sake of respectful discourse on this forum, we have unsubscribed RoyRJ Stewart Rivera and Ida Smith and will do the same for Alex Biddy once the subscription appears in the member listing.
We have also taken the exceptional step of "banning" the four email addresses connected to Mr Stewart Rivera, which means those addresses will be rejected if subscription is attempted again.
Finally, and with much hesitation, we have temporarily placed a filter on new members --membership requests will come to the moderator.
I have no idea what basis will be used to accept subscriptions-- an email address is a blank slate.
Elizabeth and David McIntire

12:26 pm 3756 posting member information
Hi all,
The following message was from Jonathan Rees who has been subscribing under various aliases the last couple of days.
I did not get the information I posted about him in any surreptitious way. The information was from one of his own web pages that he sent to this group as an attachment.
I thought if I made it look like I was super sleuth, he might stop posting spam to the egroup without forcing me to have his posts go through me.
But I didn't appreciate how ill he is as evidenced by last night's postings under the alias Biddy Alex.
So I felt compelled to take what I consider the extraordinary step of unsubscribing him under his various aliases so he would no longer receive email from the group and temporarily set the egroup to have Elizabeth and I approve new member subscriptions.
I did that because as long as he has access of any kind, I fear he will remain focused on the egroup and continue to try to cause havoc.
He tried to subscribe yet again Saturday morning and we disapproved the subscription. I am hoping that after a couple of weeks, he will tire of the game and go on to something else. When he does I will reset subscriptions to go through automatically again.
I feel genuinely sympathy for him. As far as I am concerned, he has an illness that is just like any other illness. He can't help it but it has the very tragic consequence of removing him from the fellowship others.
But my first duty is to the integrity of the group and I hope members will understand why Elizabeth and I have taken these steps. We already have had a few unsubscriptions. It is in no way an attempt to censor or moderate the group. Your email will continue to go through to the group automatically and we will approve all member subscriptions with the exception of Mr. Rees. We have never done anything likes this before and hope never to face this dilemma again.
If you think we should have continued to allow him to post please let us know. And for those who are religiously inclined, you might make a prayer for his recovery.
David McIntire

12:40 pm 3758 Re: posting member information
The person/people who wrote those hateful, inflammatory messages was obviously off his/her rocker, but I do agree with him/her on one tangential point. I think it is absolutely wrong for a member of this group to post or demand any private information from another member of this group.
Megan Cytron 2:08 pm 3759 Re: posting member information
Megan, Perhaps, I was not clear. I have neither posted or demanded private information. The information I posted about Jonathan Rees was from Jonathan Rees' "public" web page.
Also this egroup is not (!!!) moderated. The only thing that has been done is the exclusion of a single demented person. Hopefully we won't have another.
David McIntire